Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Not Ole Miss?


So for those of you are wondering or  haven’t heard I am at Baylor University! This may come as a shock, as many assumed I would be attending Ole Miss after my year off.  At one point last fall I thought I would be at Ole Miss, however as the semester went on I became uneasy with the thought of attending Ole Miss. Ole Miss is a great school and I love Oxford, but I just had this strong feeling that it wasn’t the school for me. Of course the thought of telling my parents this was a nightmare. I knew last Thanksgiving that Ole Miss was not the school for me, but at that point all I had to go off of was this strong feeling. I was supposed** to tell my parents over Thanksgiving break, but that went and came and they had no idea I was considering other schools. I continued to pray for an opportune time to tell my parents. About a week before Christmas break, after a lot of prayer, thought, and encouragement from those around me I had decided I wanted to study communication studies. This is something I NEVER would have considered before Link Year, but let me tell y’all that the Lord works in so many ways! As I began to look at Ole Miss’ communications department I saw that they did not offer what I felt that the Lord was calling me to study. Now I had not only a strong feeling but also a concrete reason to look elsewhere. Still I feared disappointing my Ole Miss Alum parents. When it finally came out my parents weren’t as disappointed as I thought they would be. They were like okay if that’s what you want to do let’s figure this out. (Of course I still think my dad had hope of me attending Ole Miss.)

I started application process again for schools. A process that stressed me out my senior year of high school, but this time was different. Throughout the whole process from beginning to the very end (and yes this was a long process) I had this strange peace that I had never experienced before. At no particular point was I ever really stressed, I just had confidence that Lord was going to have me where he wanted me.

So why my interest in Baylor? I was very drawn to Baylor not only because of the great community, but the Christian Community. I have heard so many great things about the community at Baylor and after this past year the importance of Christian Community (Hebrews 10:26) means so much to me. Even within just my first week here, I have just been blown away with the community; I have felt so welcomed by everyone that I have met, everyone is so friendly.

It’s seems as though it was a no brainer Baylor was the place for me. However, I actually didn’t commit to Baylor until the last week of July. Though I was accepted back in the spring I still had to work out some details and get the final OK from my parents. So I committed but with 3 weeks until classes, I had no place to live. Still, I had this peace (usually I would stress so much) but I was just confident that the Lord would provide. And just a couple of days later my prayers were answered when a sweet girl from high school put me in contact with some girls that needed a roommate really last minute. I really lucked out because I am now living in a great location, super close to campu,s and my roommates are awesome; I couldn’t have asked for better roommates.

I have been here for a little over a week now and I absolutely love it! I wake up every morning thanking and praising the Lord for the opportunity to be here at Baylor. I am so thankful for my parents and all that they have done for me to be here. After leaving Link Year I had no concrete plans for this fall, and there were points that I thought I might not even be in school at all, but the Lord is good and faithful and I could not have fathomed the situation that I am in now. I just encourage anyone who reads this to run to the cross in everything you do, chase your dreams but center them around God. The Lord is faithful to his children.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment