Thursday, March 28, 2013

True Friends


My favorite little bowling partner Aiden
This week was a great week here on “the island”. We started the week off with a trip to the bowling alley for Mystery Monday at Hillbilly Bowling. It’s always fun to start the week off in community with the whole group; I really enjoy the activities we do. Sometimes it’s annoying not knowing what we’re going to do but I love the surprise and trying to guess what adventure is next each week, so I was little disappointed to find out what we were really doing an hour before we left campus.
           
Ak, me, and Jamie at Hillbilly Bowling
 Since it is Easter we had to have an Easter egg hunt. Yes, I am aware that I am 19 years old but I don’t think anyone is ever too old to hunt Easter eggs. I have always enjoyed a good Easter egg hunt and I thoroughly enjoyed myself as I searched the lower fields at K-Kauai. We also had a relay race in which my sweet partner had an egg crack on her. It was great time to spend with the Kanakuk Institute girls who planned the whole event.


Jamie and I in our bunny relay masks

                                         
   Me and my relay partner Claire     
My sweet mentor and friend Autumn  
            With all the fun going on I did learn a few things this week. Though it’s something that has been encouraged throughout the year at Link Year, I think it’s really important to share with everyone. At the Fort, a young adults ministry on Wednesday nights, we looked at Proverbs 27 with Joshua Straub. Proverbs 27 talks about TRUE friends. Joshua used an acronym for what a true friend is that I really like.

Speak Truth
              Speak  Encouragement
   Be        Sensitive
     Be       Teachable

It is so important to have true friends in your life; a friend who speaks truth is valuable. We are afraid to hurt people, but it’s important to hear and give truth. We also need encouragement. True friends are sensitive, we have to be sensitive to situations and feelings of others and the way we handle situations. Lastly, a true friend is teachable. We don’t just need to look for these TRUE friends in our lives, but we need to be this friend. We have to learn to be teachable and humble to accept the truth when your friend tells it to you. It’s hard to be teachable at times but remember if it’s from a true friend, it’s more than likely out of love. Proverbs 27:17 says, “Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another.” We need to be iron in our friends’ lives and sharpen one another! Be a true friend and surround yourself with TRUE friends. Speak truth, speak encouragement, be sensitive, and be teachable. So ask yourself are you being a TRUE friend? This teaching can be heard on www.fortworship.com along with teachings on each chapter of Proverbs. I encourage y’all to check it out and listen to some; we have some pretty great speakers pour into us at The Fort each week.
Be a true friend and have a happy Easter! Celebrate our savior’s death and resurrection!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment